April 21, 2011 10:11 am
RISMEDIA, April 21, 2011-Mohawk Industries, a leader in recycled and renewable flooring, has teamed up with DIY enthusiast Chip Wade to help consumers transform their home into a green sanctuary this Earth Day with five simple steps.
1. Conduct an energy assessment. Whether you are living in an older house or a more modern space, an energy audit can determine the efficiency of a home's heating and cooling systems. Learn where your house is leaking energy, and then fix the problem. Your pocketbook will thank you
2. Be green from the ground up. Every great green space begins with eco-friendly flooring.
3. Pick a soothing color palette. The trend of sharply contrasting accent walls is slowly fading away. Instead, select a calming dark beige, grey or blue paint that is nontoxic and contains no, or low volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
4. Say yes to vintage furniture. Flea markets and rummage sales are the perfect places to snag antique chairs, tables and couches. Give pieces a fresh, new look by reupholstering with organic linen or fabric made from recycled yarn.
5. Spend time enjoying your serene space-not cleaning it. Skip upholstery and throws made of fussy silks and velvets in favor of comfortable, organic cotton. And keep floors clean with a nontoxic cleaner.
For more information, visit www.MohawkFlooring.com.
Copyright 2011 RISMedia, The Leader in Real Estate Information Systems and Real Estate News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be republished without permission from RISMedia.